T-Top Spray-Shield Installation
- Your Sunbrella®, Weblon® or Stamoid® canvas will NOT shrink ...
- In the past canvas was often made of cotton or poly/cotton "Duck" fabric
which would shrink over time.
- All of the canvas we sell is dimensionally stable and does not shrink.
- Sunbrella®, in fact,
will stretch a very slight amount over time,
so it is important to install it as tightly as possible.
- There is no need to leave the canvas loose to account for future shrinking.
- Replacing Existing Canvas (No Snaps in Canvas OR Snaps already in place on T-Top)
- If you are replacing existing canvas and have snaps installed on the T-Top frame,
it is advisable to install the snaps in the canvas yourself for perfect alignment.
We install (or provide) 5/8" OD Nickel Plated Brass snaps with a 1/4" barrel.
Installing snaps yourself will require a snap installation tool.
We offer a tool, and recommend the tools below.
- New Canvas Installation (NO Snaps on T-Top) :
- If you are installing canvas on the T-Top for the first time,
there will probably be no snaps installed on the T-Top frame.
- To install Male Snap-Screws on the T-Top's aluminum frame,
you will need to carefully:
- align (see installation steps below),
- mark (use a sharp pencil and double-check),
- drill (sharp 7/64" bit, confirm before drilling),
- apply Tef-Gel® sealant (to prevent galvanic corrosion) and
- install (screw in with medium size Phillips screwdriver) the
Stainless Steel Male Snap-Screws in these holes.
- T-Top Spray-Shield Installation Steps:
- Click the drawing at right for a larger view,
- PRO Tip:
If the canvas is stiff or wrinkled from storage or shipping,
allow it to "Relax" in a warm place before installation,
- Keep the front window zipped closed during installation,
- Start installing the canvas from the
Center->Out and Top->Down at the Corners First :
- Locate the True-Center of the T-Top Tower
(and the canvas)
Outside-to-Outside along the front of the
T-Top Tower (and the canvas):
- at the top,
- as well as at the level (waist level)
where the bottom of ths spray-shield will mount,
- Hold the canvas centered at the top,
wrap the the Side "Wing" panels around the T-Top Tower frame
and then check that everything
lines up on the top, bottom and sides.
- Carefully mark and install the Top/Center Snap(s)
labelled [A1] in the picture at right,
- Mark and install the Bottom/Center Snap(s)
labelled [A2] in the picture at right,
- With the canvas snapped to the frame using
snaps [A1] and [A2],
wrap the side "Wings" around the T-Top Tower and affix Velcro around the top
of the T-Top pipe [B],
- Pull the Right side of the Front Panel tight by pulling
Up and Out at top [C1] and
Down and Around frame at Bottom [C2], then install Snaps:
- at Top/Front corner At [C1] and
- at Bottom/Front corner [C2],
- Repeat step C (C1 and C2) above for the Left side of the front panel,
- Pull the Right Side "Wing" panel tight by pulling
Up and Back at Top [D1] and
Down and Back at Bottom [D2], then install Snaps:
- at Top/Rear corner [D1] and
- at Bottom/Rear corner [D2],
- Repeat step D (D1 and D2) above for the Left Side "Wing" panel,
- With the front and side panels pulled "snug" tight,
mark and install the remaining snaps
(between the corner snaps installed above)
at the top, sides and bottom.
Note: A Snap Installation Tool is only required for
canvas provided without the snaps installed ...
How to install snaps on canvas
- Canvas Snap Installation Tool Options :
- Time Saver™ Button (snap) Fastening kit - Vice Plier Attachments
... $5 to $40
Snap Installation Tool
... $76.28 , SALE PRICE: $0.00 (Sales SUSPENDED until 2022)
- Complete Vice Plier with installation dies welded to frame,
- Useful for installing many snaps,
- Simply align the snap, create small hole with ice pick or awl,
put snap in place and
crimp with tool,
- This tool is the same concept as simply adding the "Time Saver" snap die attachments
above to your own vice grips,
except these dies are welded to the vice grips here,
- Available: Purchase.PHP?product=Snap-Installation-Tool-G
Dritz™ Heavy Duty Snap Fastener Plier
... $10 to $20
- SeaSense™ Canvas Snap Fastener Installation Tool
... $10 to $20
- Factory Original-Equipment (OEM) Boat Canvas and Covers :
- Canvas & Cover Fabric:
Sunbrella® Marine Fabric
& Colors ...
Weblon® Regatta Fabric & Colors ...
Stamoid® Fabric & Colors ...
Top Gun® Fabric & Colors ...
Canvas/Covers Maintenance & Cleaning ...
Clear-Vinyl & Strataglass® Coated Vinyl Maintenance & Cleaning
- Canvas Types:
Boat Canvas Identification ...
Bimini-Top Canvas ...
T-Top Canvas ...
T-Top Spray-Shield ...
T-Top Gull-Wings ...
- Canvas Installation Instuctions:
Lacing on T-Top Replacement Canvas ...
T-Top Spray-Shield Installation ...
Bimini/Hard-Top Spray-Shield Installation ...
Side-Curtain Installation ...
Aft-Curtain Installation ...
Installing Male Snap Stud Screws in Aluminum T-Top ...
Drilling holes in Fiberglass for Male Snap Stud Screws ...
Canvas Care & Cleaning ...
Eisenglass and Strataglass® Cleaning & Care
- Verifying your Boat:
Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) AFTER Aug 01, 1984 ...
Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) BEFORE Aug 01, 1984 ...
Each of our boat manufacturers' canvas pages
have Photos of the Factory OEM T-Tops, Hard-Top, Bimini-Tops, Canvas, etc. at the
bottom of the page for verification
(Sea Hunt® Photos for example).
Please compare your boat against these photos to insure you have the
Original-Equipment (OEM) Top frame from the Factory
(some dealers, like Chatlee in NC and Ed's Marine Superstoe in VA,
install their own, after-market T-Tops).
Our Factory OEM canvas
does not fit after-market Tops!
Boston Whaler®, Sea Ray® and Grady White® do NOT allow
dealers to install their own, after-market tops on new boats,
so these are typically Factory OEM,
unless an owner installed their own top.
"Shade for Flats Boats"™
- We sell, DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC, most years (1990s forward depending on boat line - except the two current model years)
Factory Original-Equipment-Manufacturer (OEM) Canvas and Covers
made of Sunbrella®, SeaMark®, Stamoid®, Aqualon®
clear Eisenglass Vinyl and Strataglass® (as specified by boat manufacturer)
created, installed at the factory and originally sold for
Hurricane by Godfrey®,
Weeres Palm Beach®,
- We sell at a discount (and without 6-12% Sales Tax) versus the local dealers
since we "make-to-order" (Just-In-Time = JIT)
using our inventory of 1,000's of patterns
(no need to carry inventory)
and thus our overhead is lower.
- Unfortunately, agreements with boat manufacturers prevent us from selling the current (last 2 model years)
factory-original (OEM) production canvas, frames and covers direct to the public.
Some photos show optional items mounted on standard products.
Descriptive, typographical or photographical errors are subject to correction.
Lace your T-Top Canvas
Lace Replacement T-Top Canvas
Lacing your T-Top Canvas
Lacing Replacement T-Top Canvas
Ontario British Columbia BC Alberta Newfoundland Saskatchewan Manitoba Quebec New Brunswick Novia Scotia Labrador
ALABAMA AL ARIZONA AZ ARKANSAS AR CALIFORNIA CA COLORADO CO CONNECTICUT CT
DELAWARE DE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DC FLORIDA FL GEORGIA GA
IDAHO ID ILLINOIS IL INDIANA IN IOWA IA KANSAS KS KENTUCKY KY LOUISIANA LA
MAINE ME MARYLAND MD MASSACHUSETTS MA MICHIGAN MI
MINNESOTA MN MISSISSIPPI MS MISSOURI MO MONTANA MT
NEBRASKA NE NEVADA NV NEW HAMPSHIRE NH NEW JERSEY NJ
NEW MEXICO NM NEW YORK NY NORTH CAROLINA NC NORTH DAKOTA ND
OHIO OH OKLAHOMA OK OREGON OR PENNSYLVANIA PA
RHODE ISLAND RI SOUTH CAROLINA SC SOUTH DAKOTA SD
TENNESSEE TN TEXAS TX UTAH UT VERMONT VT VIRGINIA VA
WASHINGTON WA WEST VIRGINIA WV WISCONSIN WI WYOMING WY